Motivation? What a foreign concept. You would much rather stay in bed
today, in fact most days it is easier to stay in bed. Why face the
world when you can sleep through it? Loneliness is your friend, apathy
your brother, lethargy your sister. What is the point? Why do you do
anything? You can't stand being asked "How are you doing?" These days
it is so much easier to lie and through out a "I'm fine", nobody really
cares anyways. It would be so much easier if you just ceased to
exist. It seems DEPRESSION has come out in the FLOP.
Your vision is blurred, time does not exist, nor words make sense. You
have just been told "It's cancer". Your past doesn't flash before your
eyes, more so your future. All the things that you may have experienced
have now in two words been stolen from you. Why so soon? Why you?
What have you done wrong? How did this.... Why have....what... when
will...why... Why... WHY!? Questions with no answers spread through
your mind like the very cancer that has spread from your colon to your
liver, continuing to your kidneys. CANCER has revealed itself in the
TURN.
Your lying on the floor, breathing heavy, you feel the sweat that has
accumulated on your shirt. You are in an unfamiliar place with many
unfamiliar people. You know exactly what has happened. Here, really?
Of all places why now? Why here? You still can't see anything, the
only thing you can do is hear. You hear your thoughts, you feel your
lungs gasping for air, and you hear a woman's voice praying to God.
This woman's voice is so comforting. Among all the unfamiliar people
you concentrate on this one voice. "God please, you can stop this, you
have the power to stop this bring him back" As comforting as this voice
is you wish so dearly that she didn't have to sound so desperate and
sad. As your eyes finally open, you realize this person, lying on the ground is you, the voice your fiance I am
lying on the ground, breathing heavily, listening to my beautiful
fiance's voice. I am at a friends wedding reception. I know that this
is now my second seizure of the evening, and these sounds and feelings I
have pretty much memorized as EPILEPSY has come down the RIVER.
We all have our issues, our battles, struggles, and hardships. Mine is
no different, we have all asked that question of "why?" Some of us
can't get past it, others have defied the odds and moved on from the
hopeless pursuit of an unanswerable question.
I have found that these days I do not worry about the "why" anymore.
For if you trust that God's plan is perfect, that he is sovereign, and
that he knows best... Than the answer however helpful it may be is
truly a luxury and not a necessity. If we turn our "whys" into "whats"
we will find that we are drawn closer than ever to our heavenly Daddy.
The past couple months have been hard. They have also been incredibly
enlightening and educational not just for me but also for Alyssa. We
traveled out to Calgary to go to Jon and Emma's wedding which was
beautiful. However at the reception I had two seizures, later that
night I had a third, the next morning I had another, than in the
afternoon as Alyssa, my brother, his wife Nicole, and I were walking
down a fairly steep path to a climbing crag I had another. Finally that
evening as we were setting up camp i had another. Six in two days is
definitely a record for me.
My drugs aren't working, a diet doesn't seem to help, surgery didn't
work... Why is this happening to me? Why is God doing this? NO! I
refuse to think like that. WHAT is God teaching me through this, what
is he teaching Alyssa, my beautiful bride to be who has to worry alla
the time about me having a seizure. She also has to sit there as I have
them, comforting me finding strength only from God because she on her
own has nothing left.
I can't explain how thankful I am that God has blessed me with this
woman. I still sometimes don't understand why she has stuck it out with
a guy who is so reliant on other people. But I won't ask question,
just keep praising God for my best friend.
It's such an incredible thing to be brought low. Alyssa and I began our
relationship with a similar desire. We each wanted to be as close to
God as we possibly could. If that meant we would be together than
awesome, if that meant we were to go our separate ways, than so be it.
Now we see that my seizures have brought both of us closer to God. It
has been incredible to see the way that God has governed my seizures for
good. He has brought Alyssa and I into such a low place where we have
no choice but to turn to Him. His grace is truly sufficient.
In pre-marriage counseling the pastor who is marrying us (Donavan
Friesen) asked us to think about something. "I wonder...I wonder what
God is preparing you for?" I had never thought that I was being
prepared for something. "I wonder what your going to have to go through
in the future that God needs to build your character up so much?"
Alyssa and I have begun to wonder to. We are wondering what is in store
for us, what does God have in store for us that requires us to be
broken so extravagantly, to build our trust so intensely, and to rid our
doubt so thoroughly? Hm. Alyssa and I continue to say after every
seizure and hardship we face that we are on an ADVENTURE, one that God
is leading, and one that we can be oh so excited for.
My prayer for you brothers and sisters, wherever you are in life,
whatever you are facing. Be Content (Philippians 4:11-13) When you are
weak, He is strong (2 Corinthians 12:7-10).
4 comments:
ah - I love you so much. I love your faith. I want you to know, to see, to meet this end game. The final leg of your this great adventure, where you see the prize and wait for the sequel. I'm not saying I want you to die. I'm saying I want you to get through to the other side of this valley. I want to see you on another mountain top!
That being said, the way you handle the valley is full of God-reliance. Its full of grace, understanding of your place, and patience. Golly, I don't know if I've improved on "I love you," man, but I hope you feel the respect.
Also, totes makin it out for your not as special day. Plans changed. Party on.
I've been using your and Alyssa's story to encourage people who are finding it difficult to 'rejoice in their sufferings' - to remind them of the endurance that leads to character and hope. Your example has been an important one. I too praise God for the Potter's hand in your lives!
Tom.
No one could have anticipated how intimately acquainted with "Struggle" you have become. But I am inspired by and glorify God with how you have allowed this challenges to shape you. Reminds me of 1 Peter: "In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." ... I pray that you would continue to rejoice that He has considered you worthy of the "if necessary" so that more praise and glory would be His.
Excited to meet Alyssa and see you at the wedding!
Tom
I never know what to say that hasn't already been said. Just know that I so highly respect you.
Praying for you as always and I wish you and your future wife a very happy marriage, it's the best!! Well most of the time..haha j/k
Post a Comment