Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hello all you wonderful people!

You are all wonderful people. I miss you dearly and wish nothing but the best going into another summer very soon! For those of you about to be married, and those who are recently married - who I was not able to give congratulations to in person, God bless you and your relationships! So happy for you all! I know its been a while since I posted anything of much significance, and I would like to take a moment and share a piece of life with you. Please do not feel obligated to pay attention. (But there is a link to a pretty cool video at the end...just saying)

It is hard to believe that another long chapter is coming to a close - disclaimer, sentimental moment happening here - with Graduation coming up fast in May. These past four years have meant so much more than I can begin to express in words. Growth, challenge, joys, struggles, adventures, friendships...the list could go on. One thing especially, just in the last year, that has really been monumental is the Church I've been able to intern with, leading the Junior High kids.

I never wanted to be in that kind of a congregational setting, and yet somehow God saw fit to piece it together in a way that can not be explained apart from His hand over it all. The kids I've been getting to know and work with over the last nearly 8 months have become such a big part of my life. Two weeks ago we got to spend a whole weekend together in a place called Lake Arrowhead for our winter camp, for which I got to play a good role in planning and implementing, including choosing the place we stayed. It was amazing to see how many students, some not even from our immediate group, came out. There were seven of us leading, and we had 21 students. We spent two nights in a three story cabin out in the San Bernardino mountains where there was still some snow left on the ground. Over the course of the three days we had together we as leaders got to share parts of our testimony - from which much of my own stemmed out of things we did and learned in Kaleo - and hear from the Senior high school students as they 'passed a torch' on to the younger ones in the group. We went out on day two and spent about two hours having a massive snowball fight, in which everyone got involved. There were students who - growing up in Southern California - never experienced snow before this trip! We did a trust hike, took time to break out in reflection, and spent free time just getting to know each other better and really dig into the lives of the students we are serving.

Spending a solid three days with the kids we had previously only spent about 2 hours with per week was incredible. Connections were made between high school and junior high kids and leaders alike. We went into our time with a plan for how to provide a restful and encouraging weekend for the students, and came out (Exhausted) but recharged and ready to continue working with them. That said, Graduation. One month away from my time to say goodbye is not necessarily what I would have pegged as ideal for finally making these kinds of breakthroughs with the students. They have already begun giving me a hard time about my impending "deportation" back to Canada. haha.

The team I have been part of in leading this group has been incredible. And the way in which we were all brought together back in September is beyond explaining. So many seemingly random events brought us all together, and now between May and June all but two will be leaving, out of 8. I find myself worrying about the group and how this massive shift in leadership will affect them. I know I am moving on to other things, and that sometimes those separations are good and necessary in allowing room for the Spirit to work. But it is going to be hard to say goodbye in a month. Prayer for that transition would be much appreciated.

All that said, this particular part of the last four years has opened my eyes to passion areas that I look forward to implementing in ministry in the future. Trusting that no matter what 'setting' God places me in, He is faithful to make it work for His advantage. I am off to the NOLS program in February 2014, and I very much look forward to using that in an outdoor ministry somewhere, with any age group. Seeing people overcome things they don't imagine they can do and relating that in a way that opens doors to Christ is something I have cherished being able to experience here, and look forward to continuing - Lord Willing - in the future.

If you have survived this long, thanks for letting me share part of my world with you! So much of what I have been able to do stems from our time together on the Island. I draw so much from the wisdom all of you shared and the things we learned together, and want to thank you and share what that has transfered into four years later. Thank you all and God bless you richly where you are right now! Know you are so loved!

P.S. Here is the link to the super cool video:
It is the video of our time at winter camp, so I know it may not come off as epic as for those who know the people involved. But if you feel so inclined, take a looksie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW-_QGJ55No

LOVE!

2 comments:

Deborah Fisk said...

was it just me...or did i see the monkey that has been on ur fb photos:P lol p.s. you got MOVES gal!!!

love you mir mir!!! so excited for this next steps in your journey! of course it will be hard to say goodbye...but its not forever:D!

prayers over you! thanks for writing!

Shannon Grochowski said...

thanks for the update Miranda!! I got through about half of the video! it was pretty sweet!!