Monday, September 20, 2010

A little info from Momma Shan :)

Hey K6 fam,

Sorry this isn't going to be a post about anything about me...just yet. My summer was busy, emotional and full of friendly faces! I don't have the time right now to post my internet is down at my place and I have to come to the library to check everything. I want to be able to post some pictures as well so hopefully in less than a week i'll have my interent back!! YAY!

I recently checked out a book from the library and I came across some very interesting facts about the sun and tanning :D So here it is.....

"No one is ever happy to hear that those glowing, rosy cheeks we get from a day in the sun are actually signs of skin damage, but unfortunately it's true. Anytime your skin darkens, it means your epidermis (outermost layer) is trying hard to protect your dermis (innermost layer) from the harmful effects of the sun's ultraviolet rays. The dermis contains collagen protein strands and elastic fibers that give your skin resiliency and strength. When these strands and fibers are damaged and weakened, skin begins to sag.....(SAG ladies!! ewww. haha.) It's something we all wish we had heard more about in our teenage years---not that we would have been likely to listen.
When sunlight hits your skin, 90-95% of it is absorbed. Your epidermis compensates for this invasion by shedding its outer layer to reveal fresh skin. And, as our skin "tans," another change is going on: Skin cells and protein fibers deep inside your skin are also being damaged. And you need not stand in direct sunlight for this to occur. Ultraviolet rays bounce off of the ground and diffuse through the sky before they reach you."

Recently was my birthday and I got some money and with that money I was thinking about getting a tanning package, I always find it sooo relaxing. BUT after reading this ummm noooooooooooo thank you! I just found it really interesting and thought I would pass it on seeing on tan skin has been the look for a long time now but maybe you want to consider this like me? Like man saggy skin bahahah ewww. hahahahaha

Alright well LOVE you ALL!!!!!! Miss you TONS!!!

Post soon to come
Much love,
Shannon :)

2 comments:

Jeremiah said...

I personally prefer pale skin to tanned any day! booo tanning!

Daneille Dirk said...

Ok so I was waiting in anguish for you to tell us that you have skin cancer and have to undergo some kind of awful treatment, thanks for worrying me Shan! I definitely used to tan and then I went to a dermatologist and they showed me the freckles and sun spots that are behind my skin right now but will eventually come out and I nearly had a heart attack. Thanks for the random post Shan, I hope to read a update soon!