My
Tonga, which is the local language here in Macha, is coming along little by
little. When the students here ask me what new words I have learned today, we
always have a good laugh since most words I learn are related to Maternity.
“Tonka kamu tonka” is always a laugh producer (meaning: push, push). I have
been working in the Labour & Delivery/Maternity ward for the last many
weeks and find myself enjoying it more and more as the days go by. Whenever my
parents phone or skype and ask how clinical was today, my typical response is, “Oh
good...just delivered a few babies today...”
After
the first few weeks of adjusting to the different culture and way the hospital
is run and even the difference in the role of the nurse, my experience has been
absolutely wonderful! I have been able to focus my learning towards the
Maternal Child aspect of nursing, as this is one area I will not have experience
with in Canada before I graduate. While in Maternity I have been working alongside
a wonderful and knowledgeable nurse. He is a great teacher and pushes me to
learn and try new things. Not that it takes much effort on his part as I love
the challenge of learning new aspect of nursing care. He is very patient and under
his watchful eye, we have completed many procedures together. It never ceases
to amaze me how brave and composed these Zambia women are while in labour, with
no option of pain relief. Most will not make a sound throughout the whole
process of labour and even during the delivery. At first it was very
challenging for me as I had no idea when they were having a contraction, no
outward emotion was seen on their face or in their body position. It has only
been over weeks of watching that I can now notice little cues.
As
the weeks continue to slip by, I have been able to build some very neat
relationships with other locals. Some of the cleaning ladies both at the
hospital and the school have been a source of joy. While in the operating
theater for c-sections, one of the cleaning staff for theater and I connected.
This week I have been invited out to her village for church and spending the
afternoon with her and the family. She is very eager to introduce me to her
daughter who shares my name! Another family who works in the hospital and lives
on the school campus have a little son. For the first whole month he would run
away and cry every time I came near. My white face was the first he had ever
seen. After persistence, waving whenever I saw him and frequently stopping by
to talk with his mom and aunt, he has slowly warmed up to me. No longer does he
cry, but brings me a toy so we can play together. How I will miss these individuals!
As our final four week are ahead of us, I am trying to make every moment count.
This
coming weekend, the Nursing Christian Fellowship at the school is taking a trip
to Livingstone. We will be joining the crew and even staying a few extra days
to enjoy Victoria Falls, among other adventures :) Everyone tells us that we
have not really been to Zambia if we have not visited Livingstone. So as of
Saturday we will finally have been to Zambia!
These
past few weeks I have had some great discussions with the students here on
campus. Being a Christian nation, much of their culture revolves around values
set by the bible, and yet some areas are seemingly discarded or considered not
important because their traditions tell them something different. I have been
able to challenge a few to consider how can we be examples to the world and
show how Christ saves and redeems us if we are living just like the rest of the
world? This verse from Philippians has been a huge encouragement for me: “And
this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and
depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be
pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of
righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ – to the glory and praise of
God.” Philippians 1:10-11
Please pray for:
-
My friend who I came with. May the eyes
of her heart be opened to see the saving grace of Jesus and accept him as her
saviour
-
One of the students who just lost her
father at the hospital. Pray for peace and comfort in this difficult time
-
Our final weeks here, that we can
continue to be a blessing to those we come in contact with
-
Continued strength and health to finish
well
To
the glory and praise of God,
Kylie
Here are a few pictures (taking a long time to load, but here are two). Tom, hopefully you can see the 'beautiful' coloured soil :)
3 comments:
Kylie! So glad to hear that you are having such a wonderful time, it sounds incredible.
Love you lots, dear friend!
Amelia
Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful! So excited about your journeys and adventures Kylie, God is so good and you are in my prayers.
Post a Comment