Monday, January 14, 2013

Thanks for the encouragement, Shannon. I just posted on the K2 Blog, so I can for sure do a repeat here:

We have been serving at Camp Imadene on Mesachie Lake since March. It has been a great fit for us, and all along the way God has blessed us with great places to live and wonderful people to get to know. For example, this was my "cannute" all summer as we lived in a little cabin across the lake from the camp:


Since September, I have been leading the Auxano program, similar to Kaleo in some ways and not in others. We live in a beautiful large house overlooking Lake Cowichan with our eight students (average age 20) and two student leaders. Each morning we are up early and pray together (kinda like Chapel) from 8:30-9:30, then drive about 7 km to Camp Imadene for classes and/or cleaning and work projects. Evenings are pretty chill - lots of music and conversation and games. God is moving through it all to form and lead these students into new directions. We all attend New Life, and most of the students are involved in their kid's ministry in a First Nations community Sunday afternoons. It has been a marvelous life for us. I especially love the mornings - here is one of them from our window:


So as you can see, God continues to pour out his grace on us. We were in a small Anglican church in New Zealand last January, and at the end of the service a little elderly lady in front of us turned around, looked me in the eye and said, "The best is yet to come!" - the very thing God has said to me in many ways all through these past couple of years.

Somehow, as well as starting up this program, I was enabled to complete another book! It is a rewrite of my old camp counselor book, and it is available as an eBook and in paperback at Amazon.com and Kobo Books. It is only a quarter the length of the old one, so it is much more concise as well as up to date. I hope the low price and format will make it all the easier for camps to train their staff.


As for my family, Sarah loves having the students here, is suffering quite a bit from arthritis and is pretty limited in getting around, but God has been gracious. She has loved taking our dog Barkley for "walks" - with her riding a quad and him running behind. Ben continues to work for a civil engineering company (designing subdivisions) and has started a ministry to the sport climbing community in Victoria. Danny is in the School of Biblical Studies at the YWAM university in Kona, Hawaii - pretty intense, but he is learning tons. And that's us! I hope to hear about the rest of you soon!

2 comments:

Shannon Grochowski said...

Thanks Jim! I've been wondering how everything has been going with you and was going to post on your facebook wall actually the other day. Sounds like God has brought you to a great place!

Daneille Dirk said...

Jim that is SO exciting! I am so happy for you two, that seems like it would be a perfect fit for you two especially with the "cannute." Thanks for sharing with us! :)