Thursday, December 12, 2013

Engagement!


As you can see, Erin and I are very excited to begin our married life.

Here's the story:

We met a few years ago at a Halloween party, but I made a point of staying away because one of my buddies was mad crushing on her - though otherwise I am sure I would have been cranking my mack up to eleven. She really wanted to talk to me, and didn't understand why I wasn't giving her the time of day. The following summer I was working at Qwanoes and she sent me an email encouraging me in our ministry. I appreciated her correspondence and didn't think much more of it. Fast forward a year or two and through some mutual friends, I wound up with one of this girl's amazing paintings. I sent her a note telling her that I acquired one of her pieces (which she thought was pretty creepy), and we get to talking about art, which I had googled in advance. It turns out to be a pretty interesting subject. Anyways - I asked if she wanted to go on an adventure sometime, get to know each other a bit. After all, we have so many friends in common. She thought I sounded pretty fun and agreed (cha ching!).

Our first date landed us on top of a mountain. The view was great but I wanted to get to the good stuff - so I asked if she wanted to bake a pie. We hit the grocery store and went back to her place, where her mom fixed our dough for us and chatted me up. She knows how to woo young men, having had two other daughter's love interests to practice on. She offered me a key to the house, limitless taquito's, and a fridge that always has doctor pepper in it on the first not-even-date. Obviously, I knew Erin was the one, but I played it cool for a long while. I didn't want the first girl with delicious snacks who wandered by to capture me. So I deeply considered over several taquito filled months whether or not she was wife-worthy. As my waistline grew, so did my assurance that this sassy artist was the sassy artist for me. I saw her repeatedly put God first out in public. I saw her being honest and loving with her friends. Graceful with her family. God fearing in her theology. Caring in her occupation. I waited until I had a lengthy list of positive attributes before I let myself admit: I like this girl. Then I told her, and we held hands! Oh the hands we held. Left, right, right, left, all four of our hands we held them all. It was glorious!

Anywho - we dated, she left for camp, she came back, I went to camp, I came back, and then I couldn't hold it in any longer. Why not get hitched? I bought the ring and had it burning in my pocket while we attended her uncle's wedding in Alberta. I met her whole family, thinking often of the family we would build together, and what it means to join another person's family. They approved of me, and so in an unromantic, but very surprising way, I proposed. This was after her uncle's wedding was a couple of days old, of course - we had just arrived back in Victoria. This ring that had made it through the airport twice finally got put to use. I asked her once again if she would go on an adventure with me, and after much humming and hawing, she consented.

So that's the story!
I would love for you all to come out to the wedding. Its on February 16th. Let me know if you're interested, and what your address is, and we'll get some invites in the works. They're just being made now so its the sweet spot. May I reiterate: I want all of you to meet my delicious bride. So come! You can stay in my one room loft style abode. On a couch, or the floor. It'll be rad.


11 comments:

Beats said...

so stoked for you!

going to talk to Alyssa. We will do our best to possibly make it out.

I'll update you when I know more.

Jim Badke said...

Well done, Jeremiah, and well told! Can't wait to be there!

Jeremiah said...

Oh yes, I don't have a phone anymore - so emailing me is your best bet. jeremiahhenshaw@gmail.com

If you dont email me your address I will have a really hard time sending you an invitation!

Caitlin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

For reals, friends! She's fantastic, and I too would LOVE to see all your beautiful faces... So come!
If any of you need a floor to crash on, our air mattress is yours! Nathan & I will even feed you. I bet my parents could house some people too.
Love love love.
Amelia

Deborah Fisk said...

I LOVE YOUR WRITING! ah jere I laughed out loud in work! bro. your awesome. way to find the woman of your dreams!
id love you come!!! ill email you my address!!!

deborah

Deborah Fisk said...

to*

Paul said...

You're writing is almost as good as your beard, neither of which even comes close to this whole marriage thing. I'll certainly try and hop on a ferry for the wedding!

Shannon Grochowski said...

Congrats brother!! Hoping we can make it!

Jeremiah said...

Paul, get me your address! Everyone else, way to go sending me your addresses!

kylie.a said...

So good to hear the story! and so excited for you two!!! :)
I will have to get back to about coming out...would love to, but not sure if it will be possible. But just for the sake of having my address if anyone needs it, nothing has changed. 19 Fairy Avenue. Huntsville, ON. P1H 1G7