Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Hello everyone,

Forgive me for not sparing time for a catch-you-up, but for the first time in a long time, I feel like I need you all...

I don't think I've ever talked about it, but about a year after my Grandpa died, my uncle, my mom's closest brother, was diagnosed with ALS. ALS attacks your nerves and you slowly lose control of your limbs, until you are trapped completely, unable to move or speak. He's been in a remote wheel chair for two years. The doctors said he would have at least five years but no more than ten. Yesterday, doctors gave him two days. WHich puts him and us at three years. He's been put on heavy opiates to control his pain, but the drugs have given him hallucinations and amnesia, so they have also put him on anti-psychotics. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but the reason I am telling you all this is because I need prayer, but not for me. For my mom. This is a level of suffering I have never seen in her before. When my grandpa died (her dad), she was incredibly sad, but only sad. But this time, it's something else. Maybe the combined losses are too much, maybe having a front row seat to such an unbelievable disease is, but either way, I don't recognize her. She has slipped so far into despair that i don't see the woman I know when I look at her. I have no fear that she would do anything to herself. But she would internalize this and get lost in it, and i Don't know how long she will be there. So please pray. However you feel like praying. I would really like my mother, my REAL mother, to be present at my wedding. I'm sorry for not staying in contact with you all, I'm sorry for not making an effort. But please pray for my mom.

Jonathan

6 comments:

eric johnson said...

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us" (Romans 8:18).

I say this not to undermine this trial but, rather, to acknowledge the loftiness and grandeur of our hope of glory - and to rejoice in this hope! Yes, this situation is sincerely difficult - but yes, future glory is so amazing and weighty that even the most difficult times on earth are weightless in comparison! This hope is vital to our faith and perseverance. And our hope is truly built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness!

My prayer is that your mom (and you and your family) will hold fast to the Savior - that you all will enjoy a confidence-boosting foretaste of heavenly peace and joy in the Spirit - and that you all will have an eager and unwavering hope of glorious eternity with the Father. Miss you, brother, and I look forward to seeing you this summer.

Jim Badke said...

Praying for you and your mom and family, Jon! Thank you for letting us know.

kylie.a said...

Your request is in my prayers!
My heart goes out to you, your mother, and whole family Jono! ALS is a very hard disease to watch. May you all, as Eric said, hold onto our Savior in this time of trial.

Beats said...

Amen Eric, Jon your family is in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dearest brother,
you are in my thoughts and prayers, as is your family. Your Kaleo family will be interceding for you and your family, and know that you don't need to apologize to anyone for anything.
God bless you!
Please keep us posted on the situation.
Love!

Deborah Fisk said...

love you jono.

prayers are powerful! thank you for trusting us with this information and duty of prayer!!!

love you
love you
love you bro!!!