Thursday, May 24, 2012

Zambia - Experiences to Discover!


Dearest family!

I cannot believe I have already been in Zambia for over one week. This experience has surpassed what I had expected in so many different ways. I was meaning to update you all before I left, yet time just flew by. I have settled into the nursing dorms here at Macha Mission Hospital’s Nursing School. The students are so incredibly welcoming and are very intentional about including us (my friend from school and I) in their activities and meals. We feel very much a part of their community.

My roommate is a beautiful friend and I have enjoyed many conversations with her already. The students work ethic never ceases to amaze me as all the students are up early sweeping their rooms and washing clothes or dishes or drawing water for bathing before work in the hospital. We are constantly chasing the beautiful red dirt out the door. Well at least I think it is a neat colour, they just laugh at me:) Many of the students here are married and living away from their spouses for school. After their two years of nursing school they are posted for two more years. They have minimal say in where they are posted, so many live apart for at least four years! My roommate has a similar story. Her husband is at school hours away and their son is living at his aunt and uncle’s while they study. This is very common among the students!

Work in the hospital has been very interesting! So far I have worked four shifts in the male ward. Next week I move to the female ward and then I am spending a month in maternity/labour and delivery and a month in maternal and child heath, which is an outpatient department that visits various communities surrounding the hospital. Sometimes it is hard to believe how the nurses survive here. At times there is only one nurse working with over 30 patients. The nurse I have been with is so relieved when I am there because there are now two of us to the 34 patients instead of just her. It has been difficult for me to watch as little aspects of nursing care go unnoticed because the nurses to not have time to change the beds or listen to a chest that sounds infected. I have been asking myself questions about why am I here in Zambia if patients do not understand the language I speak or if I cannot help a dying patient because all the medical staff had already determined they are going to die anyways? But then I remember that a hug to a grieving mother or hurt child, or a smile to a patient in pain or a gentle hand while changing a dressing can make a difference for that one patient. I have been faced with many tough moments, but also many moments to cherish that help overcome any challenges. This morning there was a mother who was crying because her son was in a lot of pain from his injury. Everyone was just staring as she wept. My heart went out to her and even though I could say no words to comfort her, I was able to give her a hug and sit with her for a few moments while she cried. She seemed surprised and yet thankful. When talking with one of the missionaries here, she had mentioned that in nursing school here in Zambia they have to teach nurses how to be caring. Since their patients are not their family, they have trouble reaching out and empathizing with the patient. I had no idea what she meant until witnessing it for myself. It is a very different perspective when some nurses view a patient as a job and not always as a hurting person. I have enjoyed these last few days being an example of caring to my patients whenever possible.

I must say that we are becoming quite the Zambian’s, eating nshima often twice a day and having lots of sugar in our tea, although I am still getting used to the sugar! Every morning for breakfast they serve us tea with two buns and I still make a funny face with my first sip :)

This past Sunday was my first experience of a Zambian church service. What a wonderful time! The singing was so beautiful, the harmonies filling the church. I was able to walk there with one of my friends from the nursing school who was a great guide and interpreter at times. All the songs are sung in Tonga the local language, so she would explain their meaning after we sang. After the service they invited all the first time guests to stay behind to sign the guest book and also partake in a delightful snack. I keep saying this, but Zambian generosity and hospitality is truly amazing and wonderful to experience!

-          Your prayers are greatly appreciated. Pray in the following areas especially:

o   Pray for continued strength and health as we are constantly faced with many different diseases in both the hospital and community.

o   Please pray for my interactions with my friend who came with me. She is not a Christian and is being saturated in so many different ways as she adventures in Macha. Pray for intentionality on my part and a softening of her heart to hear the gospel. May she come to believe in our Lord and Savior!

o   Pray for the logistical aspects of the two courses I am taking while in Zambia.

If anyone is interested in sending mail, I would love it :) My address is as follows:

Macha Mission Hospital

Box 630 340

Choma, Southern Province

Zambia



Much love and missing you all,

Kylie

Ps. Sorry for the lack of photos in this post. They will come! Internet is just a little slow to upload anything significant at this point.

3 comments:

Beats said...

Wow Kylie, that sounds pretty amazing. I love that God is teaching you, that you are taking it in, and then acting it out.

I will pray for you and I hope that your time continues to go so well, or maybe not, seems that I learn better when things are going bad (but maybe your different).

Yup, some photos would be nice, maybe one of the pretty colored dirt.

Deborah Fisk said...

yo ky!

how long are you there for?

what an adventure eh?
sounds pretty intense! but you will be a great example to other nurses there because you are for sure a nurturer!

prayers!!

deborah! (excited for the pics!)

eric johnson said...

I appreciate the things that you've chosen to write about. I believe that these things that you deem significant (and have shared with us) are the very things that our compassionate Father would deem significant. I pray that this will ever be the case as you continue to abide in Him. I'm also joining you in your prayer requests. I've been encouraged and exhorted by your words and actions. Praise God!