Wednesday, October 7, 2009

From Firewood Sales 101-Theology of Holiness 374-1


Hello Gang,
So I decided that this update was long overdue seeming as I wanted to let you know how that weekend at camp went which was way back in mid July so lets get to it. My week at camp was fantastic, I was able to connect with my campers-thanks for your prayers- as many of them had been in my cabin before. One thing I'll never forget is when a girl was trying to climb the climbing wall that I was working at. Every time she came to the wall she would get about 2 feet and then she couldn't go any further. She was quite short and not athletic so it was challenging for her. So after seeing her struggle a second time I put myself in a harness and went to her and told her that we could do it. So step by step we climbed together. I would either go ahead or behind and she'd use my knees to step on or my arms to pull her up and we eventually did it. Getting to the top was the best feeling ever and once we got down she was so happy! Jahnaya came after my 3 days when I had to return to work and she finished up the week but before I told Jahnaya about our climb and so at the end of the week she ended up winning the Wall Climbing Award. I can never forget when I told her I was leaving and she asked if I would be back because she was going to tell her sister that if she can't get up the wall that I'd be able to climb with her. Unfortunately I was not able to return the next week for her sister but it was amazing to see how much that climb really opened her up not just towards me but others afterwards.

As for the rest of my summer, I continued to work at the Moose Lake Provincial Park which is about 15 minutes away from my house in Bonnyville, Alberta. It was a great experience for me. Not only did I work outdoors but my main task was to basically sit in the sun and sell firewood for which there were little if any customers. This job was such a blessing for me as during my shift I was able to sit there and read through my Bible as well as listen to free seminary classes. My goal was to read through the OT which I had only read Genesis and part of Exodus beforehand so it was quite the ride. Through selling firewood (which is quite the relational job if you want it to be) God opened many doors for me not only to get to know those who came to the campground but to have very sweet conversations with them. I told you previously about a group of 20 year olds who I spent a weekend with and some of them did return a few more times. I was also given a couple more opportunities to share my beliefs and views with other campers who had either been there before and knew I went to Briercrest or saw me reading the Bible. It was honestly such a great summer! I fell in love with my coworkers-and as Jon had told you they are quite the unique bunch. But I was able to connect with all but 2 on our staff of 10 throughout the summer with people coming and going. We were able to chill together and ask questions and just enjoy each other and our differences. In fact because they knew I was a Christian and my goal was to read the OT they would ask me on occasion what I was learning, and some would come to me with questions or misconceptions that they had to see my opinion-a couple of conversations even went on for more than a hour. These were probably my favorite relationships I have ever made with coworkers as it felt as though we were quite comfortable with each other and were able to have a blast just hanging out or shooting skeets. Being in that atmosphere was a time of learning from those who I encountered and growing in my love for those who are lost and have completely different views and moral standards as I. My previous summers were basically spent at camp so it was refreshing to be out there working with non-christians where some took joy in their lack of morality as it gave me a wake up call and made me love and want to love them even more. Having Jon out there was also a blessing and surprise, he ended up in Bonnyville which allowed him not only to meet my family and friends but work with me. It was encouraging to have another friend who is solid there at work and it felt like such a break as almost all my friends and former youth group kids from Cold Lake were going through a hard time and were needing help and advice which was draining. In fact the first night Jon came, we (mainly he), was able to ask and help answer some questions that one of the girls had about God which I doubt would have sparked unless he had came.

So that now brings us to today. Leaving Moose Lake was quite hard for me. Near the end I was quite upset infact one day when Jon and I were practicing for worship I just started to cry. I really hate transition, and I loved my job with those people at Moose Lake. I was given huge opportunities to hear their stories as well as share pieces of mine with them. So leaving was heartbreaking as I knew that where they were returning (we had staff from everywhere except Bonnyville) to broken homes and relationships. I hated the feel of leaving. But with that, only one day after working I came here..to Calgary.

Since being in Calgary life has been...well..interesting. The first couple of weeks were quite tough as I did not know many people here except Jahnaya (who happens to be my wonderful roommate) and Jon (who lives only 15 minutes away) and two other Kaleos who I knew loosely. But now things are starting to look up. Unlike popular belief, I am not in Behavior Sciences but rather after much decision making and prayer I felt like Intercultural Studies;Bachelor of Ministry was the program for me. My year at Kaleo transferred and so I am in my 2nd year. As part of the program it is required that I go overseas for 7-10 months (I want 12) to a different country and work with missionaries and learn their language and culture. I am so excited for this and am in need of prayer for discernment for which continent I should go and what ministry I should be involved with. Inspite of the loneliness here I have been growing so much through the course work and through just being lonely. Dependence on God has been huge and one of my courses Theology of Holiness has been a fantastic growing experience. This year our schools theme is "Ambrose is All about Jesus, and All About Students" and it has been exciting to see the Faculty of Theology students and staff get together and share their hopes and dreams for the school. I am so excited! I have been asked to lead a small group here which meets for the first time tomorrow and more opportunities to serve are in the making which makes me even more exciting but at the same time I need to crack down on my 7 courses.

When leaving YWAM we had a saying that was "The Best is Yet to Come" and it has been so exciting to see my life in the past two years and to see how the best has come yet is still coming. As far as prayer goes, I would really appreciate your prayers for meeting people and being intentional in those friendships. I have met some really cool people here but prayer that we would be able to form a really good community here would be amazing. Also for prayer as to what country I should go/return to within the next year or two would be great. Then finally that I would continue to fall in love with Jesus. I must admit that I have always had trouble trying to figure out this Jesus and what it means to love him so prayer that I would sincerely chase after him and love him and experience his love in a new way is really my prayer for myself this year and I'd love for you to join me in that. Thanks so much for those of you who have stuck through this update and I can't wait to hear more about how life has been going for you!

Daneille

4 comments:

Beats said...

Daneille its so fricken awesome to hear from you. I am so very jealous of your summer, and the path that God is taking you on.

So at your school, or even residence, are there...any ladies, preferably single, that are interested in a long distance relationship?

Jeremiah said...

Tom!

Daneille Dirk said...

Tom, you see the girls on the photo I posted? The only one who isn't single is the one with the volleyball, the rest are free game. You should come visit and I'll get you acquainted

Beats said...

I might just do that.