Thursday, April 8, 2010

yoooo

guys, whats up? I'm in the back of some Sociology class right now and we are talking about ideology, and I thought to myself "what would I like to do right now ideally?" Boom. Kaleo blog.

So you might have heard, you might not have, but come September I am going to be heading to Briercrest to hit up some Theology, something I'm really excited for. My journey to this decision has been a really interesting one - one that I have, unfortunately, reluctantly been a part of.

I began to look at human rights from a secular perspective, ultimately to find that it robs man of its most important 'right' - the right to live humbly and in submission to the God who formed you. It seemed that my peers were more concerned with ensuring same-sex marriage was accomplished, than bridging the incredible gap of poverty that separates 10% of the world from the other 90%. But this mind set is not formed on a wim, rather it is a representation of a culture that has completely turned inwards - a dying world.

I wrestled, and still wrestle, with the notion that I was 'abandoning' these people. How would they know truth if I didn't tell them? Surely they will fall into horrible lifestyle patterns without me? On paper, the problem with these thoughts seems obvious. Instead of letting God be God, I had assumed the role of savior. And so, having seen such tremendous brokenness, I decided I would pursue a hope that would affect people at their core - hence theology at Briercrest.

By no means is this suppose to be a bash on secular universities, in fact I think we desperately need people their. This is just my journey, where I think God wants me.


Tom wrote this brilliant blog post on his 'son of a bietz' a while back, in it he talked about how satisfied, how comfortable, we can get to our sin and our subsequent life. In many ways, going to Briercrest next fall is a step into the uncomfortable for me, one that will expose a lot of my flaws and cracks. Thank the Lord he works for men such as me.

If you guys are ever in Toronto this spring, I would love to catch a pint/french press/tea/smoothie with you. I really do love you guys, a lot. And it brings me tremendous joy to hear from you guys, and to pray for you guys.

Much love.

Jake

6 comments:

Jim Badke said...

Wonderful, Jake! Well said. I hope you will bring to Briercrest your global perspective and gain there a better understanding of God's perspective.

Anonymous said...

If I'm ever in Toronto, I would most DEFINITELY go for a smoothie with you.
So glad to hear of the awesome thing that the Lord is doing in your life, brother!

Beats said...

Will you by any chance be driving to Briercrest come fall, cause if you are I know a little city called Winnipeg that you`ll have to drive through...

Daniel said...

this is cool jake...very cool. Your continued disire to seek after the Lord and to do his work is sweet. I think this is an exciting step for you dude. So stoked and excited for you fellow 212-brother.

erin said...

yaaay !
you probably owe me like 5 smoothies by now,
that's sweet jake !!

james said...

Choice :)