Friday, June 26, 2009

i'm stuck.

I was ready. Ready to go home, gather my thoughts, build a solid community, get involved, get a job, find a balance and run with it. God wanted me home this summer for some reason and I was ready to follow. Ha. I thought MY plans for following God’s will were pretty fantastic. I guess I was wrong. I’ll be honest; being home has been mostly a load of junk. Details are irrelevant, I suppose. Lets just say reality turned out to be the opposite of my romantic plans. Shocking, I know. Don’t worry; I’m not just sitting around sulking in my own self-pity wondering why things are the way they are (well, maybe sometimes). But really I’ve been trying to keep my head above the water hoping to see how I am to survive this tossing ocean that was supposed to be (in my mind) a comfy little hot tub. And not just survive but actually do some good along the way.

I’ll be honest, I feel very lonely sometimes. Ok, most-times. I miss the community of Kaleo. My attempts to build community here at home are looking more dismal by the minute. I have a few good friends. But there are far too many kinks in what used to be my ‘community’. Kinks that I don’t know what to do with. Kinks that are bigger than myself. Some of these kinks really hurt. I’m not sure why I don’t like asking for prayer. Pride? Arrogance? Shame? Whatever the case, that’s dumb. I need prayer. And my loneliness is really just the final straw. It’s that stroke of selfishness that sends me over the edge and makes me say, “Come on! I have all this crap on my plate PLUS I have no one to talk to?!” By the way, I am desperately awaiting my time at Briercrest.

Now before this gets out of hand I should back up. Despite my frustrations, there is much good happening. Upon my arrival home I was attacked with phone calls from people trying to get me involved in various ministries. Hooray for opportunities… I was so annoyed. I’ve learned to say no over the years and this was a perfect opportunity for practice. I was getting good. I was shoot em’ down left and right. Sometimes I could even do two at a time. The smoke rolled out of the barrel and I was pleased. I was arrogant and wrong. I let my frustrations get the best of me and I acted foolishly at times. Fortunately, God saved me as well as one of my victims.

I got a second call from a guy that I had originally turned down. He asked if I was interested in helping with a small youth group that meets out of his house. I knew the guy pretty well and I knew of a house church that he started up about a year ago. Apparently, God has been working overtime with this group over the past year and from this little church sprang a little youth group. There are anywhere from 20-40 middle school and high school youth that meet at this guy’s house every Sunday night in the small town of Pecatonica, IL. I have been blessed to be able to lead their worship every Sunday as well as help start up and lead a Wednesday night bible study. I’m so glad we have a merciful God that can look past me being an idiot. Like I said, I’m really blessed to be a part of this group.

However, like I was saying before, there is a lot of behind the scenes baggage that is getting pretty heavy. It seems like I’m spending all day trying to pry myself from this load so I can lay it down before God. Then the next morning I find it all strapped to me once again. This cycle is getting dumb. And it’s difficult to focus on anything and be even remotely productive in this condition. Man, I feel like I’m complaining and I hate that. And I hate asking for prayer. I find it easier to help other people with their problems rather than facing my own. Who knew that helping people could be selfish? So yea, I would appreciate prayer from you guys. And I miss you all like crazy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Eric,
Funny story for you first, yesterday I was at Kristie Voth's house and we were collaging, and she came across a picture of Matt Costa, turned to me, and said "He looks like Eric!" to which I giggled because probably since the beginning of Kaleo I've heard you say how everyone says that.
But... the main point of this comment was to tell you that I will commit to lift you up in prayer. Loneliness definitely sucks. May Jesus combat those feelings with an overwhelming sense of being truly loved.

Eric Johnson said...

ha, yes. people still often tell me i look like matt costa. makes sense. i imagine neither of us have stopped looking like ourselves. thanks for the prayers amelia.

JAKE said...

dear brother.

im writing this in a small/smelly/funny looking cabin in the middle of the woods. that is irrelevant.

but i am glad to see that is the Lord is instilling an element of brokenness and vulnerability into your leadership.

that following Christ is costing you.

i love you tons man and will be holding you up in prayer this summer man. much love.

jake.