Monday, July 6, 2009

Intruder!!

So, funny story...here we are house sitting (my sister and I) just having finished watching The Prestige and Meagan was settling down to read and head to sleep while I was talking with Jordana on Skype, when out of the darkness flew a most peculiar little creature. After hearing the exclamation from my sister in the other room I almost had to clean my ears and ask her to repeat what she had just said..."Is there a Bat in here?!?!"
Meagan proceeded to shriek and come running away, as I turned my attention to the other room where she had been I found that sure enough the little night hunter was fluttering about back and forth through the room, up and down the hallway, and back into the living room where it perched ever so lightly on the blinds of the window.
Now, having never been faced with having to capture a bat before, we were a little unsure as to how we should proceed. I came back to the kitchen and searched for possible items with which to trap the devious little thing and upon spotting the noodle strainer on the counter I reached out and grabbed it...Now I am sure you all know that simply getting an animal underneath something when you want to transport it outside is only half the task, you still need something with which to seal the bottom, so we grabbed a notebook and marched back into the living room where the Bat still hung suspended upside down from the window blinds.
The plan was this: I would sneak up on the Radar-Equipped intruder and trap it under the strainer while Meagan, who was thoroughly frightened, slid the notebook underneath. Following that we would then proceed to transport the Bat safely out into the rainy night.
As I made my approach I noticed the little villain bobbing its head this way and that, trying to pinpoint my location no doubt with its super abilities. Yet I inched ever-closer and to my surprise the Bat did not move...Finally within striking distance I lunged toward the window to trap the seemingly unsuspecting creature, at first I thought I had missed. After repositioning the noodle straining device to ensure a secure capture I realized the poor thing had one wing stuck out the side of it. Well, not wanting to hurt the thing I backed off just enough for it to reclaim the stranded wing and re-closed the gap immediately. As Meagan approached to slide the book underneath and so complete our trap I noticed we had it pinned against a window that was locked but would open and not be hindered by a screen of any sort. So rather than putting the little one through much more of an ordeal, we simply chose to unlock the window and push it open so releasing the captured intruder into the night. The release was a success, the little critter flew swiftly away and we pulled the window back tightly shut and locked it post-haste...
Unfortunately, to our regret, the window we opened was directly in front of a tall stand on which three lovely glass flower pots rested...that is until they went tumbling to the ground and crashed with a rather large amount of noise followed by a quaint scream from my rather rattled sister!
And that is my tale to you, hope you enjoyed it, it was certainly fun to experience first hand. Luckily only one of the fallen flower pots was lost to us in this untimely event, but the prognosis on the plant within is hopeful...so long as we find a replacement pot soon...

1 comment:

Jayme said...

what a night for you two. you are so brave miranda tiede. this exciting event reminds me of a fairly humorous episode of the office. please check meagan for rabies.