Whenever I think about writing on this blog, my mental process is as follows ‘hmm, I don’t really have a whole lot of time right now to write something substantial, so I guess I’ll just leave it for now.’ I have decided I am going to throw that idea out the window and share a little thought I encountered last night.
This past weekend, my parents came down for a little visit (it’s my brothers birthday today so they wanted to have a little family get together) and we went to see the Dead Sea Scrolls! They were sooo cool! But that is besides the point. When they said they were coming down, I asked my Mom to bring down our book from Spiritual Formation: The Life You've Always Wanted. I remembered how encouraging and challenging it was around this time last year, and wanted to read it again. In the process, I came across this section last night.
If you play an instrument, it may be easier to identify with, but if not, just imagine...
”Respecting the distinction between training and merely trying is the key to transformation in every aspect of life. People sometimes think that learning how to play Bach at the keyboard by spending years practicing scales and chord progressions in the ‘hard’ way. The truth is the other way around. Spending years practicing scales is the easy way to learn to play Bach. Imagine sitting down at a grand piano in front of a packed concert hall and having never practiced a moment in your life. That’s the hard way!
This need for preparation, or training, does not stop when it comes to learning the art of forgiveness, or joy, or courage. In other words, it applies to a healthy and vibrant spiritual life just as it does to physical and intellectual activities. Learning to think, feel, and act like Jesus is at least as demanding as learning to run a marathon or play the piano” (p. 44).
Just a little encouragement to keep practicing! God is faithful. If we place our lives in His hands, He will help us practice those scales!
Much love,
Ky
Ps. I just baked some cookies...fresh out of the oven! So feel free to stop by! :)
1 comment:
hmm, thanks for that Kylie.
Really good to hear from you!
..you totally would bake cookies ha
Post a Comment