Friday, June 5, 2009

Having Faith and Trusting God through EVERYTHING

I have a story of an experience God gave me today that reminded me about how much he cares and protects everyone.

This morning I went to work in the challenge course. The sun was shining, the birds chirping, everyone was pretty tired because it was friday and we still had a long weekend ahead. I was put on the skyscraper with a guy who is not very organized and the CC leader Dave, and another friend. We started off good. the guy was not very organized with signing the kids up therefore I was having a hard time figuring who was next on the list. I by this point was a bit stressed. I hooked a group up and they went and then I took them down. A girl told me she was going on with the next group so I left her there and went to hook up her friends. Pushed the platform away and tryed to figure out who was next on the list. The group went and had a great time. As I pushed the platform over again Dave looks at me and says "look at the girl on the end when you go up there." So I went up and went right over to her. Her lanyards were not attached to the skyscraper bar.

I could of easily killed that girl today. In a jirk she could of fallen off that swing and died. But she didnt! What are the chances?! I took the other kids off and ran down the platform looked at Dave and burst out crying while saying "Im done arent I". He took me over and told me to take the rest of the morning off. I left thinking about what I had just done as Mel saw me and of course questioned me. She went and talked to Dave who then talked to the girl and her mother. Meenwhile I left to go to lauras office so I could hide/check my facebook. Mel found me and told me dave was on his way to talk to me. Through this I was still sobbing. Laura came in and reassured me like Mel had, and then Dave came. He told me that he still trusts me. He and amelia still want me in there and realize that it was a mistake. He told me that he was not mad, nor upset. I was shocked. I was still crying yet could not thank him enough for telling me that he was giving me a second chance. I feel as though I cannot trust myself anymore, nor am I able to forgive myself.

God saved that girl. God took her arms, held onto her as the swing went, and let her walk off as if nothing had happened. It's a miracle! She probably should be dead right now, and I should probably be kicked out of camp, living back at home, getting ready to be sued in court in a couple of weeks with a memory of killing a girl because I simply forgot to do something. That didnt happen! The Love God showed through this, his grace, his trust and faithfulness is UNBELIEVEABLE! And the fact that Dave is not mad! He showed me so much love as did amelia. He showed me grace like no other. I do not diserve to be back in that place, yet he wants me there! The only thing that I must do is redo the workshop. That sucks seeing as I have been doing this for 4 years, but this is nothing to what I might of had to do. God is great through good things and bad.

I am now still very shaken up. I have not been eating much nor have I really been able to work. I spent the whole morning and part of the afternoon resting because I was so upset and in physical pain from it. It's ging to be hard to go back in there. It will be hard, it will suck, it will remind me of the things that have happened, and the Grace that was shown through it.

Mel talked about grace in staff meeting this week. Is it a coincidence? (cant spell) No, it's Jesus. I want to challenge you guys, when something that comes up that causes you pain, guilt, or even just questions, trust that God knows what is about to happen and what did happen. Trust that he has a lesson behind it, that he will show you and others the meaning of, in my case grace, something that maybe you need to learn. Trust him with EVERYTHING! I hope this story has opened your eyes. It has caused me a lot of pain and suffering, yet I know that only good can come out of it. all that's left to say is, Praise God for saving that girl. Praise God!

3 comments:

Daneille Dirk said...

Amen, thank-you so much Leila for sharing that story of God's protection and grace! What a powerful reminder of how God is guiding us and still at work in our everyday lives here and now. Thank-you for that encouragement, honestly you have no idea how much I needed to be reminded of that. Even though it was painful to learn thank-you for sharing it with us and edifying us with that lesson learned. May God continue to show how he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. and may he to protect you and the other campers! I'll be praying for you as you continue to work through what happened and as you continue to trust Him in everything! So glad to hear from you, love you!

Shannon Grochowski said...

I am so glad that you shared that with all of us! I am crying for you right now because of how happy I am. Leila this post just is a fragrance of how God has been healing you and giving you strength. I was so worried for you. I know how hard you can take things and of course this is something huge that you could have been really shattered. But Leila I know how much pain it was and may still be but you are having kingdom eyes and a kingdom mind through this situation! PRAISE JESUS!! PRAISE JESUS!!! Leila I love you sister! I can not wait to see how much more God grows and shapes you this summer! You are in my prayers my beautiful sister!

Kristie said...

Leila - as I read this post, a few days after you told me about what happened, a thought has popped into my head. You know in the Bible where it states that we are "more than conquerors"? Well, that's you, Leila. You are More than a Conqueror.

First of all, You are a Conqueror because you didn't let that event shape you negatively for the rest of your life. You have been honest with how much it has shaken you. It must still be difficult to think about. No doubt it has affected you.
But Leila, you chose to look to Jesus!!

And you are MORE than a Conqueror because not only did you get through the circumstances by looking to Jesus, you also have LEARNED from them and have now TAUGHT and ENCOURAGED others. You have turned what was intended for harm into something beautiful! THIS is what it means to be MORE than a Conqueror.

Way to look to Jesus, Leila! This is another indication of HOW MUCH you have grown and matured over this past year. I am so proud of you! Keep looking up!