Monday, June 29, 2009

What do we have to fear but God?

Hey guys, I feel like I am starting to sound like a broken record because all the prayer requests that i ever mention all have to do with me and my seizures. Well why change something that I am so good at. For the past month I have had many seizures, in fact they pretty much occur weekly, and despite efforts to control them by raising meds I still continue to have them. About an hour ago I got an email from my mom saying that I had been booked into a neurology clinic in Winnipeg, great right? now something will finally be done. Only problem is that my appointment is this Thursday which begins to create problems since I am cabin leading this week. I am leading a great group of guys who are here for Level three mountain biking (Freeride) and it has brought me to tears knowing that I will have to leave them midweek. Not only am I sad and feel terribly guilty for leaving Frontier halfway through a camp week I am also terrified for the tests that are going to be done to me. To sum it up I will be hooked up to a machine in the hospitol that reads my brain waves for a week (day and night), while I am on this machine they take me off my meds and induce seizures (just letting you know having seizures is not fun.)

That's where I am at right now, my emotions are so mixed I don't even know where or how to start asking for prayer.

6 comments:

Deborah Fisk said...

cast your cares on the lord YOUR God! he will never leave you, he is guiding you through this trial.

thomas, i hurt for you...this must be rough, and i can't even try to comprehend all the mix emotions you are having...so I won't.

but thank you for depending on us, your brothers and sister for prayer!! I will commit to it!
keep that chin up like I know you do, for you are one of the strongest guys I know when struggles come your way, obviously getting the source of your strength from HIM!

love and prayers!

Miranda said...

Hey Tom, remember when we were in India and we were all strapped up to our packs ready to hit the trail into the Himalayas and then it started to rain and we all gathered together in cover to pray, and out of nowhere you prayed that it would not be easy, that we would face challenges so that we would know that it was only by the power and grace of God that we would accomplish anything? I know that it might suck and make no sense but I think that God is continuing to answer that prayer, stay strong and stand firm in Him, know that He is God and that He will see you through all things, just like being sea sick on SALTS, just like facing spiders in a dark cave, just like working out regardless of a broken leg and better yet climbing through the worlds greatest mountain range on that same leg fresh out of a cast you will get through anything so long as you rely on God to see you through. I know they seems like weak comparisons to this, but maybe, just maybe all those other little things were to show you the faithfulness of God for the bigger things like this.
It seems almost wrong for me to say this, but Tom I encourage and challenge you to be a light to the doctors and the other patients when you are in the hospital, and even to the campers that you have to leave mid week, shine like a star by leaning on God for strength, endurance, and perseverance. Praise Him in the hard times as much as the good. I wish that I, and all of us, could be there right beside you and help you through but know that we will be praying for you Tom. I love you bro! Stay bold, stay strong, stay courageous! (p.s. being courageous does not mean that you have no fear, it means that you overcome it; and with God on your side that is not only very possible, but also a guarantee.)
Praying for you Brother! Love ya!

Jim Badke said...

Tom, we will pray. Many more people read this than write comments, and I am sure they will pray too. May God guard your heart and mind with his peace, which goes way beyond our understanding of this situation.

JAKE said...

man that sucks hard. definetly praying.

lord bb said...

tom i don't know God's exact plans for you but i do know that what ever happens as a result of this trip will make you a stronger person a more Godly person a more loving person and a greater example of Christ work in you life.
sincerely
Benjamin Brainard

Leila said...

Dude, that test was supposed to be done to me. Only my hospital stay was going to be for 10 days instead of a week. Know that whatever happens can only be for the better even if you are the one getting hurt in the process. God can and will do great things. I know how much pain a seizure can cause...I've had them many times. Give it to God and dont give up hope. Love ya man. Take care