Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Bringing you up to date.

Hey everyone, I thought it was time to give you a little update while I have a few moments. They come far and few in-between, especially as the number of school groups’ increases and start of summer quickly approaches. It’s hard to believe that the time has passed so quickly! Today is already the half-way point of Spring Crew at Mini-Yo-We. As a celebration, we are having a little sleep in and a big breakfast at 8:30 instead of the regular 7. It’s strange, normally at this time everyone would be up and about, having started work already. But...a sleep in for me! Not a chance...not much has changed in that aspect. My internal clock is set for 6 am and refuses to let me sleep in even when I have the chance! Haha, some things just never change I guess.

I’m so thankful to be here at Camp after leaving you guys. Although the people here are very different from each of you, there is still a similar community to that of Kaleo. I have been encouraged, watching our community grow together over the past weeks. We spend all our evenings together over at the guys house playing cards, baking random foods we find in the cupboards, foosball, jamming and just chatting together. A week ago we spent the evening canoeing to Port Sydney (about an hour paddle each way) for ice cream. And once a week we play pioneer camps spring crew in Ultimate. Last night, we all headed out to play grounders on the new playground that was put in yesterday. I can tell you one thing for sure...if that playground was able to uphold the breaking-in we gave it, it is more than unbreakable for the campers who will use it in the summer! One night a week, one of the year-round staff lead us in a bible study. Since our crew memory work comes from Philippians 2:1-11, we have been studying Philippians. Last week we worked through Phil. 2:13-15 and ended up talking quite a bit about complaining. Complaining debases much of what God has given us. Through it, we are not trusting Him, being thankful and we are essentially saying that what God has given us is not good enough. One big question that came up was; what are we saying to the world when we complain? That question really challenged and I want to pass that challenge on to you, think about it. What message are we giving the world in complaining?

Every morning after breakfast, one of us shares a devotion. Yesterday morning’s devo really made me think and I thought it would be neat to share with you guys. We are always going to have struggles in our lives. Life is not easy. Even though we believe in God and want to follow Him with our lives, we often try living on our own, trying to figure everything out ourselves. When it becomes too much, we long to just get away and rest. As David exclaims, “Oh that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.” (Psalm 55:6) We long for the wings of a dove, and yet if we hope in the Lord, He gives us wings like Eagles. As Isaiah 40:31 declares, “Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” In everything, we need to trust and hope in the Lord. The wingspan of a dove is approximately 15 inches, but the wingspan of an Eagle is over 90 inches! On our own strength we but wish for wings like a dove; and yet, God is willing to give us wings like Eagles!

The last few days, my brother Ben and I have been preparing for a canoe trip we are leading a school group on next week from Tuesday to Friday. Guess how many people will be on the trip?...exactly 31! I just realized that the other day and it made me miss each and every one of you soo much! Please pray for strength, patience and safety while on this trip. Also could you pray for opportunities to talk with these grade 8 student about God. We are going to ask the teachers about possibly leading devotions with the students each morning, which would be really cool. It is a Catholic school, but even so, we do not know how much they are exposed to following Jesus. Besides canoeing each day, being guides and lifeguarding for the group, we do not have many responsibilities. We are in charge of the food and cooking and looking after the equipment. Ben led this trip last year and said it was great. So I’m really excited to see how it plays out. It will be quite the adventure, especially with all the bugs! And, we have to somehow fit another two canoes on top of the already full canoe trailer. We could get help on this end, but once we are at the launching spot, it will be just the two of us. It will be quite interesting.

Since coming home, almost every week I’ve had the opportunity to play with our worship band at church. I’m absolutely loving it! Besides that and everything happening at camp, my time is pretty full. Could you still be in prayer for a house for me to live next year? There have been quite a few leads, but so far, nothing has amounted to a finalized spot to live. Many people know that I am looking for a place though and have their eyes open. I am really trusting God in this situation and have not been worrying, just praying a lot!

You guys are amazing and I miss you so much. Every day, continually I’m reminded by happenings here of times from the year. Know that I have been praying for each of you! Much love.

(I tried to put up some pictures. But it would not let me this time. maybe later)

2 comments:

Daneille Dirk said...

Thank-you so much Kylie for updating us on your life! It sounds like you are having a amazing time and I am so encouraged to hear of your many leadership opportunities that you have been entrusted with. What a fantastic summer! I also loved how you challenged us about complaining, thats definitely something that I need to think more about with my summer job and try to give thanks in all circumstances. Thank you so much once again for letting us know how you're doing and I will definitely be praying for you!

Deborah Fisk said...

wow...kylie spring crew sounds awesome!!!
keep telling us about it. wish i was there with you!
hugs