So...where to begin. First off, it is HAPPY MONTH for me, yup I have been living in Toronto Ontario for one month:D and I have really enjoyed the transition.
Secondly, I got my job, and have now been working at it for a week. Hmmm where to begin about the job...
So its a bit rough. Everyone swears, everyone is coming in and out smoking or dirty, there are pot heads around me, people that give me creepy stares, and people that don't like their life at all. There is only one more lady besides me that works there, and she is probably 40 years older than me.
Every morning I wake up at 5:30 and start my day, it takes about 45 mins to get to work...where I sit around ignore the stares until 7 when all the trucks leave the premises and go out for a good days work. There are maintenance crews and then there's flower crews. I am on the flower crew, just in case you didn't know, and I have to plant a certain amount of flowers in a day. Thankfully, I am really good at what I do, and make enough flats in the day with out a worry. Unfortunately my back and knees usually end up hurting by the end of the day, but what can you do? :)
So besides that quick snap shot of the job, I have had a few chances to talk about God with people. On the second day in, I got asked if I was religious. And from there we talked about the good and bad of Christianity. I think what took them back was that I was agreeing with them that some Christians do really stupid and horrible things. Basically it took them back for a second to see someone that was not trying to justify the stupidity, and yet they got a chance to see that Christians aren't perfect.
On Tuesday, my foreman and I got into a big conversation, because our site to work at was an hour away. He assumed I believed in Darwin's theory of evolution, where I took him aback to learn that I believed in God creating the universe. From there we talked about everything, theology, atheism, evolution, Mormons, Muslims, and even DESCARTES! NO JOKE! we both brought him up together!!! wow oh wow thank you bible college for prepping ME! anyways, it was nice that we both respected each others opinions, and I could see that he was impressed by a 19 year old challenging him with educational thoughts.
Even today when I brought out my bible to read in the truck (because it was raining and we don't plant when it rains), I could see him wondering, and he even further made remarks about Me and what faith I am.
So that is my job...maybe just pray about the words that come out of my mouth, and that by my actions more questions will be raised. Dave my foreman is a very nice 68 year old man, and I really enjoy our conversations that seem to spread across the world, universe, and beyond!
Besides work, I am slowly making friends. I have two guy friends that I play soccer with on Sunday, who I really enjoy hanging out with. We have recently found a sweet pick up team, that splits in two to play full field soccer with goalies! It is just my thing and man does it make my day jumping on that field and running!
Personal growth I have learned a lot lately.
-I am reading the bible in a year. So far I have read Gen, Ex, and Matt, and now am on Lev. So that's really encouraging to see me sticking at it.
-I have also learned how lost this world is...coming back from Taiwan to kaleo didn't give me much insight on Canada, but home missions seems pretty important to me right now. There are just so many lost people. I don't watch any t.v. at home (which is so nice, I went straight from media fast in kaleo to media fast in Toronto), but I get a lot of insight into the world with the secular radio stations that my foreman puts on, on the car. Its just so depressing to hear so many cool beats and notes and musically talented voices (or lack there of) centre everything around sex and liquor....it's maddening how everyone finds the newest song to be so amazing, when in actuality it is just talking about the same thing as the last 5 songs we just listened to. Wheres the depth, where is the thought, where is the Christ centred music creations?
-On top of that I have learned how much love I can give to kids. I am helping my aunt every Tuesday take care of some pretty rowdy kids with a few helpers while she goes upstairs with the mums and gives a devotional. These kids had a spot on my heart right away, I fell in love with all of them, not missing one kid. I was quick to memorize their names, and quick to give them piggy back rides, play tag, and just try and show them the love that they so rightly deserve.
-lastly I have learned to be less shy around people I do not know, because currently I am searching for a new church which is a task in itself, and will take some time, but I am asking the right questions, finding out information, and really looking to be directed as to which church God wants me to serve in....not where I feel most comfortable in.
I already feel like I wrote you all to much, sorry if this is a long read!
I hope you are all doing well, and thank you for your prayers. Could you please pray that I find some girl friends....its a bit hard considering I work with all guys, and my brother introduces me to all his guy friends. I know it will happen though...all in the right timing.
Oh btw, I will probably be seeing Erin, Jake, Jesse, and maybe Dan on Monday which I am so pumped about!
much love! "Wo Aie Nee" =I love you (in Mandarin HA HA)
debb (fish)
6 comments:
I miss you tonnes, fish! Thanks for the update!!
Hey Deb! I heard back from my friend about churches in Toronto. Turns out his church is in Kingston "NextChurch". But he suggested "Freedomize" and "The Meeting House", which does lots of home churches.
I'm glad things are looking better to you!
So good to hear from you Fish! It's awesome to hear that you're continuing to grow and be challenged.
I'm excited about your Bible reading, soccer playing, and ministry to kids (seems like a theme in your life).
Your thoughts about songs on the radio was bang-on. Keep thinking!
P.S. I miss our Friday night drives to Ladysmith. Every time I pass that town I think of them fondly. Love you!
hey Fish, sounds like God has definitely brought you to Toronto and you are taking hold of the opportunities he is giving you. So sweet to hear that you are still diving into the word, I wish I had the same self-control you do.
Deb,
Praise God for all the sweet things that he is doing in your life! Man. That gave me goose bumps! I love you girly , and I'll be praying.
MAN! SO DARNED EXCITING! <3 <3 <3
Hey Sis,
Thats cool to hear. Keep being radically different in your job and towards all the people around you. Praise God that you are able to be as powerful for the kingdom as you are now.
Post a Comment