I sort of have been putting off writing this, for one I am lazy..lol and two I was not sure on how to word how I have been feeling lately but I am going to try.......
Coming to work at camp has been a little hard on me. I knew that there was going to be a difference but did not know that there was going to be this big of a difference. As I am sitting at the dinner tables for meals I find myself not wanting to interact with the conversations that are going on. I am struggling with the things that I am hearing from people who want to follow Christ. The biggest difference that I am seeing is the level of spiritual maturity in everyone. Now when these thoughts come to my mind I always try and tell myself "Shannon do not judge these people, who are you to judge." So I shut my mouth and eat my food.
My initial reaction was to retract away from the group and not put forth an effort in getting to know these people in fear of myself being polluted by the conversions. One of my biggest fears after Kaleo ended was that I do not in NO way want to forget what God taught me in Kaleo and how he shaped me and wants to continue to shape me. The words of Miranda come back to my head often....."We are a generation that needs to be radically different but we are fighting it." I do not want to fight this....I want to embrace it and run with it.
Then my name BOLD comes to my mind. I felt as though this name was only for my time in Kaleo but I want to use this for the rest of my life, I want to BOLDLY but in a LOVING way (nothing without love) speak to others about Christ on the issues that we so often sweep under the rug. My fears of offending people are holding me back. My sister wrote our father a letter and I had the privilege of reading it the other day. One thing that stood out to me in the letter was that Tara wrote that she was sorry that if some of her words were offending Dad but the gospel is meant to offend because it is the truth and it is meant to hit us directly to our core! Those are some powerful words.
After chatting with a few people about how I am feeling my thoughts are now this, Us K6'ers who are working at camp have just been through something AMAZING with God. We have been diving deep in the truth and facing trails and seeing God through it all. We have a sense of knowledge and deeper understanding as to what the gospel is and what the responsibility is that we carry, not only to non believers but to our fellow brothers and sisters as well. We should not be retracting from this group but we should be sharing our views about the church, about our generation being so blinded by consumerism, about social justice; just to touch on some major issues that came up for us. Even past Kaleo's may need some reminding of these things and they also could teach us things that they faced during Kaleo and after.
I was talking to one of the Kaleo's the other day and this person said when asked how was the transition for you from Kaleo to Camp life, "Easy, it was like life just slipped back into Camp mode" my response now even though I didn't have it then is, don't let it be easy! This "camp" communtiy needs a "Kaleo" community. There is no reason why there should be any difference. I have heard that many years staff can see the Kaleo students pull away from the group and struggle in the summer but lets make this year different shall we?!? We have such an opportunity to bring something different this year lets do it!!! For the glory of our heavenly Father!! LET'S BE RADICALLY DIFFERENT!
This also could apply to others as well who are not working at camp. Brothers and Sisters lets not slip back into the norm! Fight it!! Instead of fighting not to be radically different fight to be radically different!!
I hope that my thoughts came out clear to you all. I would love to hear your thoughts on my thoughts..lol
Much love
Momma Shan :D
2 comments:
Thanks Shannon!
Amen, Sister!
I know we just talked about this in your room, but I had to read this post too. I totally agree.
My prayer for all of the k6's, whether at camp or not, is that we would strive to be radically different wherever we are.
All my love!
A.
Post a Comment